Easily, my favourite film of all time

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Simply extraordinary.

Yea?

I have to be honest - I haven't seen this film yet. I definitely need to get on it.
Convince me. Why do you like this film so much? What do you think makes this film your favorite of all time?

AlexHaas wrote:Yea?

I have to be honest - I haven't seen this film yet. I definitely need to get on it.
Convince me. Why do you like this film so much? What do you think makes this film your favorite of all time?
The way the film is set out is like nothing you have ever seen. The entire film is a puzzle, much like Nolan's later film The Prestige, and it sends the viewer on a thrilling ride through the heart of a man and his adoration for his wife.

It is quite difficult to explain it, but I tremendously urge you to check it out. By the time the credits roll up you will sit there with a mixture of confusion and awe. You will be surprised at how much you are thinking about the film the day after.

I'd say it's his best film for sure. Guy Pearce delivers one awesome performance in this and the story is just fantastic. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing but everything else is just spot on. One of my favourite movie scores in a Nolan film and it's very emotional.

Watch it!

I agree, David Julyan delivered a moody and emotional score. Fits the who vibe of the film very well.

I wish I could watch this movie for the first time, because the first viewing of this film is amazing and confusing.

I've watched this film for maybe the fifth time now, and its still great.

chee wrote:I wish I could watch this movie for the first time, because the first viewing of this film is amazing and confusing.

I've watched this film for maybe the fifth time now, and its still great.
I feel the exact same way as you, I almost want to bash my head until the point of amnesia (excuse the pun, well - not really, because Leonard suffered from AMD which is different but beyond the point) so I can watch the film on first viewing again.

TeddyBlass wrote:I agree, David Julyan delivered a moody and emotional score. Fits the who vibe of the film very well.

The problem with the score, though, is that I never really can remember it. Julyan is almost a little too subtle at times I think. Same goes for Insomnia.

I think Memento is one of his more memorable scores. Much more than Insomnia I think. The repeated piano note is pretty memorable. I remember when they used that in The Village trailer. And the odd music for the black and white scenes is pretty stand out too.

However, I agree that Julyan ventures a little too far into the atmospheric/subtle sometimes. His music isn't really hum-able, but it usually is recognizable.

TeddyBlass wrote:I think Memento is one of his more memorable scores. Much more than Insomnia I think. The repeated piano note is pretty memorable. I remember when they used that in The Village trailer. And the odd music for the black and white scenes is pretty stand out too.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.
However, I agree that Julyan ventures a little too far into the atmospheric/subtle sometimes. His music isn't really hum-able, but it usually is recognizable.
I guess thats basically what I was trying to get at.