Memento Remake

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
shauner111 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Some might say he deserves it since he remade Insomnia only 5 year's after the original had come out.

Just saying. It would be rather hypocritical of him.
Insomnia was an obscure foreign film. You cant compare.
But a remake nonetheless. The comparison is well justified.

It's not a good one.

shauner111 wrote:It's not a good one.
Save it. It appears to me, that you're unable to comprehend a simple comparison.

MyCocaine wrote:
Save it. It appears to me, that you're unable to comprehend a simple comparison.
Im able. It's just that it's a very simple, surface level comparison. Just because it's a remake doesn't mean you should compare it as if it's the exact same situation. Memento is 15 years old but guess what? It's a classic. Cult classic or not, it's Nolan. And Nolan is huge right now. It's an American, english speaking film that is critically acclaimed. Considered one of the best films of the last decade. Insomnia was most likely never seen by the general public when it was remade by Chris and Warner Brothers. It's a very obscure, foreign language film. There is no reason to remake Memento unless there is somebody with a very different and creative vision for it. It seems like there is only an announcement like "how cool would it be to remake it!". Right now, it doesnt make sense.

They have the rights to remake Donnie Darko, which is a similar, dumb situation. It's like remaking There Will Be Blood several years from now, or Children of Men. Why? Just because they can? Come on. Memento will be remade as another American, english speaking film, with the exact same structure most likely. It's pointless.

shauner111 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:
Im able. It's just that it's a very simple, surface level comparison. Just because it's a remake doesn't mean you should compare it as if it's the exact same situation. Memento is 15 years old but guess what? It's a classic. Cult classic or not, it's Nolan. And Nolan is huge right now. It's an American, english speaking film that is critically acclaimed. Considered one of the best films of the last decade. Insomnia was most likely never seen by the general public when it was remade by Chris and Warner Brothers. It's a very obscure, foreign language film. There is no reason to remake Memento unless there is somebody with a very different and creative vision for it. It seems like there is only an announcement like "how cool would it be to remake it!". Right now, it doesnt make sense. They have the rights to remake Donnie Darko, which is a similar, dumb situation. It's like remaking There Will Be Blood several years from now, or Children of Men. Why? Just because they can? Come on.
I am not endorsing the remake it any way, if that's what you think.

The Norwegian version of Insomnia is arguably better and more bold in it's vision that Nolan's.

I could care less if the general audiences is aware of the original, it doesn't make it less of a crime.

Alright, but i think the big difference here is the language and availability at the time. 2002 vs 2015 when you have Netflix etc. The language part is why i get it when i hear they're remaking Let The Right One In, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or Oldboy. It doesnt mean i have to like it or it'll turn out well, but i get the intention behind the remake. It's to get a great concept out to a wider audience, and of course to make money off it.

A lot of people refuse to watch anything if it's not in their mother tongue. Not everybody will sit down with a subtitled movie.

In 2002, i guarantee nobody in North America saw Insomnia unless they dug for it as a film fanatic. Hence a remake with Pacino and Williams. This is 2015 and going forward. There's no reason to touch a Christopher Nolan, PTA, Fincher, Tarantino, Scorsese, Coen Bros or Spielberg film that was made recently in the 2000's. I list these directors because they are the ones who can get people to a cinema solely on their name sometimes. And Nolan is near the top of that list with Tarantino/Spielberg/Scorsese.

MyCocaine wrote:Some might say he deserves it since he remade Insomnia only 5 year's after the original had come out.

i cant think of one reason why nolan wouldnt want it remade

AsianVersionOfET wrote:

It seems, that you're also unable to comprehend a fairly simple comparison.

Also, why are you still here? Your comment during the attacks in Paris should've gotten you a ban.

MyCocaine wrote:
AsianVersionOfET wrote:

It seems, that you're also unable to comprehend a fairly simple comparison.

Also, why are you still here? Your comment during the attacks in Paris should've gotten you a ban.
I dunno'. Why is anyone here? Who are we? Who am I?