After teasing us with the UK Blu-ray / DVD announcement more than five weeks ago, it looks like Warner Bros. has set Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 as the official US release date for the Inception DVD and Blu-ray.
Special features on the Blu-ray will include:
- EXTRACTION MODE – Infiltrate the dreamscape of “Inception” – with this in-movie experience – to learn how Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest of the cast and crew designed and achieved the movies signature moments.
- DREAMS: CINEMA OF THE SUBCONSCIOUS – Taking some of the most fascinating and cutting-edge dream research to-date on lucid dreaming, top scientists make the case that the dream world is not an altered state of consciousness, but a fully functional parallel reality.
- INCEPTION: THE COBOL JOB – Now in full animation and motion, check out this comic prologue to see how Cobb, Arthur, and Nash came to be enlisted by Cobol Engineering and perform an extraction on Saito.
- 5.1 INCEPTION SOUNDTRACK – Composer Hans Zimmer teams up once again with Director Christopher Nolan to create the soundtrack for “Inception”. Enjoy this feature in full 5.1 surround.
- CONCEPTUAL ART GALLERY
- PROMOTIONAL ART ARCHIVE
- INCEPTION TRAILERS
- INCEPTION TV SPOTS
- BD-LIVE: PROJECT SOMNACIN: CONFIDENTIAL FILES – Get access to the highly secure files that reveal the inception of the dream-share technology.
Continue on to the see the DVD features, and the epic box art.
Special features on the DVD:
- THE INCEPTION OF INCEPTION – Christopher Nolan shapes his unusual concepts for “Inception.”
- THE JAPANESE CASTLE: THE DREAM IS COLLAPSING – Creating and destroying the castle set.
- CONSTRUCTING PARADOXICAL ARCHITECTURE – Designing the staircase to nowhere.
- THE FREIGHT TRAIN – Constructing the street-faring freight train.
It’s probably safe to assume that the four DVD featurettes will be included on the Blu-ray disc as well. I’m not sure way WB decided to list them this way. I just can’t see them delivering these featurettes in a non-HD format.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group says that the DVD will be priced at $28.98 and the Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack at $35.99. Don’t let that scare you. The prices are already way cheaper than that on Amazon. (Blu-ray, DVD)
On December 7th, Inception will also be available ON DEMAND through Digital Cable, Satellite TV, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 game consoles and it can be downloaded for rental or purchase on iTunes and Amazon Video On Demand. It will be available to rent via kiosks and subscription (meaning Netflix) on January 1, 2011.
Starting November 15th, consumers can receive exclusive, never-before-seen Inception content on their camera enabled mobile devices via Inception Snap Tags that will be placed on various Inception advertising materials. Consumers only have to snap a photo of the Snap Tag with their camera phones and send the photo via MMS to 95871 (for AT&T, Verizon, and Alltel customers) or as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get a reward. Different rewards will be offered on a weekly basis until December 7th when the final reward offered will be tied to the Blu-ray Combo Pack.
As always with the Amazon pre-orders, you’ll get their lowest advertised price between your order and the release.